Tuesday, August 8, 2017

"Be Bear Aware" Weekend Getaway

"In Yellowstone National Park, there are more 'do not feed the animals' signs than there are animals you might wish to feed." -Natalie Jeremijenko


This past weekend, I got to share one of my favorite places with my favorite person (Hailame the Husband), Yellowstone National Park.  For most of our marriage (the whole almost 3 years of it), I have talked and talked about wanting to take him to see beautiful Montana and Yellowstone.  I know he's never been to Yellowstone, and I'm pretty sure he's never been to Montana.  

A few months ago, my Mother planned to take Caleb there the weekend after coming home from his mission.  She wanted to have a good family weekend prior to him getting back to normal life after the mission.  I made it my goal to make it to this trip, despite the long drive from St. G to Montana.    


Hailame's family is always busy with family gatherings during the Summer and we do our best to support them, but I told him no matter how many things going on during this particular weekend, I want to go to Yellowstone with my family.  Being the great man he is, he made sure it happened and we had a wonderful weekend.  



I got to see Caleb for the first time in 2 years!  He is still the best little brother any sister could ask for.  We had fun catching up with him and hearing loads of mission stories.
  
This was also Hailame and I's first big camping trip.  I started prepping a week before we left to go.  I was so excited I could hardly wait.  That week of prepping felt like it lasted forever!  
I made 4 loaves of banana bread and lots of cookies to feed my cute nieces and nephews.  


Being in Yellowstone was so great!  I had missed it so much!  The last time I was there, was in college with my roommates Rachel and Brittany.  
Hailame was looking forward to seeing all the wild life... and I probably shouldn't have hyped about all the animals he would see.. because he saw hardly anything!  In all the times I had come to Yellowstone, I always saw loads of bison, moose and deer and so to get Hailame excited, I raved and raved about all the animals... and we saw the slim pickings of close to nothing.
We saw a beaver and 2 bison.... I felt so bad.

He was convinced he would see a bear... all my siblings saw one... and we didn't....
We even tried going to Bear World in Rigby and we were too late by 34 minutes... I felt bad once again!

But as always, Old Faithful was beautiful, all the geysers were amazing and the atmosphere was just what I needed to check out of civilization for a few days.  


Next year... Grand Teton's National Park!

love, hannah jane

No comments: