Friday, July 28, 2017

I am thankful for my Talents

Since being married to Hailame, it has always been on my bucket list to learn how to make Traditional Tongan clothing.  But just like many of my bucket list items... it has remained there for the last few years.  In college, I took a Pattern Making Class where I learned to make clothes and patterns from scratch.  It was one of my favorite classes, but I haven't really taken the time to grow those skills since college.  

When Hailame's best friend's son, Jason, received his mission call to TONGA he was told to provide his own Tupenus (Lava-Lava) prior to coming to Tonga.  Hailame immediately volunteered my talents and skills for his best buddy's son, and reminded me and the multiple blessings that would be coming my way when helping a missionary! :)  

Hailame, Jason, Tupou

Granted making a Tupenu is not rocket science.  It's actually a very simple pattern.  However, I always get self conscience and nervous when sewing for others besides my husband.  I'm always worried it won't turn out right, the size will be too big or too small, too long or too short, wrong fabric and other ridiculous thoughts. 

After a couple measurement mishaps on my practice tupenu, the ones I made for our missionary, Jason, turned out great!  Hailame's mother, Nola, brought a Ta'ovala (mat wrapped around on top of the tupenu) for him to wear and he was ready to go and serve in beautiful Tonga!

I am thankful for my sewing skills and talents.  I'm thankful that my husband provides different opportunities for me (usually by blindly volunteering me) to share my talents.

Next Tongan Bucket List Item:  Learn to make a Ta'ovala...

love, hannah jane  

No comments: